Friends of the Animals logo
01983 522-511

Mince Pie Anyone

This very unhappy little Terrier is ‘Max’ whom ‘Friends of the Animals’ re-homed. Two days ago, he unfortunately helped himself to one of Santa’s mince pies and became. very ill, very quickly.

The raisins and currants in the pies are desperately toxic to dogs and Max spent many hours on a drip at the Vets, in an attempt to flush out the toxins, before they destroyed his kidneys.

Prompt veterinary attention saved this lovely dogs life, but the resulting bill is in excess of £200, so it was a very costly mince pie.

I shall not forget an emergency call I took, telling me a puppy had eaten the whole of his Christmas stocking including the netting ! It occurred on Christmas Day – and cost thousands !

Hopefully, these cautionary tales will make owners extra vigilant this Christmas.

‘Alfie’ is a twelve year old Yorkie / Tibetan Terrier. Sadly, his owner passed away and poor Alfie spent three months in kennels, before coming into the Charity’s care. We immediately noticed, his eyes were very sore and our first priority was to get him the veterinary treatment he so needed.

At Christmas time there are many calls on finances, but even a small donation towards the cost of veterinary treatment would be most gratefully received.

Happy Christmas everyone and thank you

Posted on December 22nd, 2019

Latest News